ICON 2010 will take place at the Crowne Plaza Dublin Northwood.
Inspired by the beauty and tranquillity of nature, the Crowne Plaza is situated in a mature parkland setting of 85 acres and is surrounded by magnificently maintained gardens. One of Ireland’s largest conference venues, it is located only minutes from Dublin Airport and 15 minutes from Dublin city centre.
Although Dublin is well known as being a place of friendliness, the city is also a very old and beautiful City; it is well over 1000 years old. When you walk the streets of Dublin you'll be able to see some magnificent old buildings such as Christ Church Cathedral which was built in 1234 AD, although there has been a church on the site since 1028 AD.
Dublin, with its countless scenic spots and relaxing atmosphere, is truly a place to visit. Below are some of the main sites to see while walking Dublin.
The Custom House is one of Dublin's most magnificent buildings. It was designed by James Gandon and built between 1781-91 to replace an older building on Essex Quay. It was designed to be looked at from all angles and is rich in structural detail. Of particular interest are the 14 keystone heads which represent the 13 Irish Rivers and the Atlantic Ocean, the cornerstones of Irish trade. The original interior was completely destroyed in 1921 when it was attacked by the IRA during the War of Independence. It currently houses the Dept of the Environment.
The General Post Office (GPO) is the main building on O'Connell Street, Dublin City's main street and is the home to An Post, the Irish postal service. It was built between 1815-18 and is one of the last great Georgian buildings built in the city.
The GPO is open daily as a post office, and its history is remembered with paintings inside.
The Four Courts contain the Supreme Court and the High Court of Ireland. Completed in 1786 and designed by the architect James Gandon. It is designed as a single quadrangle with four original courts, the King's Bench, Chancery, Exchequer and Common Pleas. It was originally built as a records storage building but part way through the construction it was decided to transfer the courts of law from St Michaels Hill. The building was severely damaged in 1922 during the Civil War and most of the documents of the Public Records Office were destroyed. This is now the reason why it is very hard to trace relatives in Dublin before the 19th Century.
Built in 1204 by king John, Dublin Castle was built as a fortress suitable for administration and the defense of Dublin. Despite its function the castle never had to withstand a major attack, only minor battles in the Kildare Rebellion and the Easter Rising 1916. It was the centre for British rule until 1922 when it was handed over to the new Irish Free State. The original building was built between 1204-68 on high ground in the city between the rivers Liffey and Poddle. It was also surrounded by high walls and a moat. After a fire in 1684 the building was largely rebuilt, with very little of the old medieval structure left.
The National Church of the Church of Ireland, it was originally built as a church in 1192. It was built on the site that it was believed that St Patrick performed his first baptism in Ireland in a well on the grounds, which is still there. It was upgraded to a cathedral status in 1213. Most of the present building dates back to the 13th and 14th centuries. It did fall into poor condition however, up until the 19th century but was restored then by Sir Benjamin Lee Guinness. The author Jonathon Swift was dean here from 1713 to 1745.
Christ Church Cathedral is the cathedral church of the archdiocese of Dublin and Glendalough, which it has been since 1038ad. The building that now stands on the site was, however, was built in 1234 by the Anglo-Normans. The cathedral did have further additions after this and was extensively restored in the 1870's. The cathedral, as the main church of the English empire in Ireland, was a very important building in the city. Here King Edward VI was crowned, and also the lord deputies took their oaths of office. Now Christ Church Cathedral is one of the most beautiful buildings in the city where it stands on the hill overlooking wood quay.
The Halfpenny Bridge has become one of the symbols of Dublin. It is a beautiful old Georgian pedestrian bridge built in the 18th Century, which spans the River Liffey between O'Connell St and Capel St. The North side leads out onto Liffey St, while the south side leads out to the Temple Bar arch, which itself leads out to the Meeting Place Square in Temple Bar. Although the name of the bridge has been changed many times, this was always the name it was given by the locals and eventually officially named. The name comes from the fact that it used to cost one half penny in old English money to cross the bridge. The toll was eventually taken away but the name still persists.
St Stephens Green is a beautiful Georgian park in the centre of the city. It is surrounded by St Stephens Sq which is a square of old Georgian houses which overlook the park. The park was built as a present to the people of the city by the Guinness family in the 19th Century. It is still to this day the main park in the city. On a sunny day hundreds of people flock to the park to enjoy the sun.
Trinity College, Dublin was the first university established in Ireland. Although it was widely agreed that a university was required in the city, shortage of funds meant it was only founded in 1592, by both Dublin Corporation and the Archbishop.
The university is the main university in the country and houses such treasures as the 'Book of Kells', the ancient Celtic manuscript. You can just walk into Trinity at any time, although going inside and seeing the Book of Kells is only aloud at certain times.
The Dublin Spire, or the 'Spike' as it now more commonly know, is the newest addition to the Dublin skyline. It was commissioned to mark the millennium celebrations in the city, but it in reality it was not completed until early 2003.
The Spire stands 120 meters tall and is the largest sculpture in the world.
Guinness Storehouse is Ireland's No. 1 visitor attraction.
A visit to the home of Guinness is the high point of any trip to Dublin. At the Guinness Storehouse you'll discover all there is to know about the world famous beer.
It's a dramatic story that begins over 250 years ago and ends in Gravity, the sky bar, with a complimentary pint of Guinness and an astonishing view of Dublin City!
A fermentation plant at St. James's Gate Brewery has been transformed into a place where you can experience one of the world's best known brands in a totally unexpected way.
It's the Home, Heart & Soul of Guinness